Sunday, March 12, 2017
Wednesday, October 1, 2014
Here are some reasons I believe in God. Why do you believe? Why do you not believe?
- To Me the evidence is overwhelming that there is a God.
- Why did a group of rag-tag fisherman, tax-collectors and just ordinary guys give up their lives to follow Yeshua? (Jesus - I am using his name that is probably closer to what it really was in Hebrew.)
- How did a guy like Peter go from a coward, afraid to admit he was a Yeshua follower when he denied the Lord 3 times before the rooster crowed? Of course you will notice the stress is on Peter but the other disciples did not even have the courage to hang around where Yeshua was being held before his crucifixion.
- How did this same coward after the baptism of the Holy Spirit suddenly have enough courage to stand up in front of thousands of his fellow Jews and declare his belief in Yeshua as the promised Messiah?
- Why did the western world start the calendar over after the time of Yeshua? Can you imagine having the world re-start its calendar because of the birth of a Jewish baby?
- Yeshua fulfilled the prophecies that were forecast hundreds if not thousands of years before his birth.
- Why since the birth of Yeshua have so many lives radically changed been changed for the better? It continues today. People who were prostitutes, drug addicts, murderers have encountered a spiritual rebirth and totally changed their lives for the better.
- Why have dedicated Christians over time, radically changed old systems to new kinder, compassionate systems. For example, from memory, which could be a bit faulty: Yeshua gave a higher status from his actions and sayings to women than had previously occurred. Our educational systems that were originally only for the rich who could afford them were made public to help people who were not born priveleged into wealthy families. Various Christian groups also established hospitals, homes for people who used to live on the street or in other words, were homeless. Universities in the Western World were usually started by Christian groups. The Red Cross movement was started by a staunch Swiss businessman, Henry Dunant. I could list and have listed elsewhere the number of missionary organizations that have been started to alleviate suffering all over the world.
- The Judeo-Christian or Western world has been responsible for most of the scientific advancements in the current world. Currently Israeli inventions have contributed the most to help the world. Am I saying they were all perfect? Absolutely not. Many so-called christians have polluted the name of "Christ" by doing some pretty stupid things. However NOT everything done under the name of "Christ" is actually Christian. It is only Christian if it is done in the manner, beliefs and teachings of Yeshua.
- Yeshua has inspired amazing architecture in various places including ancient Rome, centre of Roman Catholicism.
- Yeshua inspired Handel's Messiah. Other great musical works were inspired by believers in Yeshua.
- Personally when I asked Yeshua to come into my life personally and help me become a better person, my life changed for the better. I have had an unbelievable number of prayers that have been answered including praying that my friend Ellen would become my wife. Almost 50 years later, I have never regretted that prayer.